We are involved in a couple of projects that seem to center around creative non-fiction, once called the New Journalism; it’s the use of literary devices from fiction in works of non-fiction, hence creative non-fiction.
In alphabetical order by the author’s last name, some of these are newer and some ar more mature but we have found them helpful.
- Berg, Elizabeth, Escaping Into The Open
- Christensen, Francis. Notes Toward a New Rhetoric: 6 Essays for Teachers
- Christensen, Francis and Bonniejean Christensen. A New Rhetoric.
- Long, Priscilla. The Writer’s Portable Mentor: A Guide to Art, Craft, and the Writing Life.
- Peterson, Brenda and Sarah Jane Freymann. Your Life is a Book: How to Craft & Publish Your Memoir.
- Roorbach, Bill. Writing Life Stories: How to Make memories into Memoirs, ideas in Essays, and life into Literature.
Maybe they’ll you writers also. If they do, drop us a line.
Do you have a favorite book about writing that has helped you?