We attended the monthly meeting of the Gulf Coast Writers Association this past weekend. The speaker was Artis Hendersen. Her presentation was entitled 10 Things I Wish I Had Known Before Writing a Memoir. Here they are:
1) Why does anyone care about our memories? We must build a structure with our truth so other people can live there. Tell the truth about the pain.
2) Memoire – scene by quiet scene. Tell about intimate thoughts.
3) Solve structural problems in your book by writing and not thinking. Write till the structure becomes obvious.
4) When stuck, seek life experiences or activities unrelated to what you are writing.
5) This will not be fun. Writing is hard work and it doesn’t make you happy.
6) Join a writing (critique) group.
7) There is no perfect writing spot.
8) Free writing will change your life. Begin writing and don’t stop until what you really want to say comes to light.
9) The Writer’s Portable Mentor by Priscilla Long.
10) Reach out to other writers.